Sunday, January 4, 2009

Blog 1- School

As you've previously learned, I'm not the biggest fan of school. I mean it's alright and all, but it's full of phonies, whether it's the teachers or the students. That's okay though because school was never really a fan of me. I'm sure it could've been, but I didn't really fully apply myself. Some psychoanalyst guy kept asking me if I would apply myself in my new school (the one after Pencey). Although I didn't know at the time, because how are you to know what will happen until it actually does, I never did. I just treated school as some place my parents sent me so I would have some place to go.

Pencey was the last school I got kicked out of. I wasn't too fond of it. There were a lot of phonies and fake people there. Take my roommate, Stardlater, for example. He was about my size, but just a little bulkier. He always had a date on weekends. He always acted like a gentleman to them, but I saw his true colors. Sometimes I liked to provoke him just to get him angry and see him react. On my last night at Pencey, we were arguing about something stupid, I'm sure, and I don't even remember what it was. I ended up screaming in his face about how he was a moron. Next thing I knew, I was on the floor with blood gushing out of my face and Stradlater was on top of me, looking as angry as ever. That's the night I left Pencey. I mean, I had to leave anyway, but I just couldn't take being there anymore.

But phonies in school aren't the only reason I don't like it, the classes aren't that great either. I was always good at English, and that's the only subject I didn't fail when I got kicked out of Pencey. But, it's not like I was stupid or didn't know any of my material, I just couldn't take it seriously and apply myself. There was this one class, I remember, called "Oral Expressions." It was a mandatory class, so I couldn't skip out on it. At random, the teacher would call you up and you would have to make a speech and explain a story you felt interesting. Well, not everyone is all that interesting. When someone would get off topic or start to bore the class, everyone would have to scream "Digression!" I felt sorry for most people when that got yelled at them, because I personally found it more interesting when someone got off topic. Everybody always yelled a "digression" my way, so that's how I failed that class. Yeah, I've never been a big fan of schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment