This may not be a very interesting blog post for most readers, but I just need to explain to you Jane. It's okay if you don't like it, because Stradlater didn't really care too much either. He's where it starts. I hadn't really thought about her much, but the big football game that night I left, Stradlater had yet another date. When I asked who it was, he wasn't quite sure of her name, so he took a guess and said "Jean Gallagher." I recognized instantly that he was talking about Jane Gallagher, my Jane Gallagher. I asked him to give her my regards, he said he would, but I know he didn't.
Jane's family belonged to the same golf club as my family. I caddyed for her mother a couple different times, and that's how I met Jane. We used to spend a lot of time together during the summer. One thing we did a lot was play checkers. She was so cute because whenever she got a king, she wouldn't use it. No, she liked to get as many kings as she could and keep them all lined up in the back row. I had never seen her use a king in all of our games of checkers.
Another thing about her was I felt sorry for her because her childhood was pretty lousy. Her parents were divorced. Her stepfather was a drunk. She loved school because she got to get away from home and focus on everything that really mattered to her. For that reason, I was proud of her because she was so focused on her school so she could have a better life for herself than her mother's house could've ever given her. I would just love to have one more summer with Jane.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment